Lutine of Helford
Published: Monday, 23rd June 2008
New spars for the ex Lloyds of London yacht Lutine
With a busy sailing program planed for 2008, the famous ex Lloyds Yacht Lutine of Helford will be sailing this season with a new main mast and boom from Collars.
Last summer she encountered a number of small constructional problems with her existing mast and the decision was made by her owners Clive and Gillian Emerson of Gweek Quay Boatyard to replace the spars including all fittings and standing rigging. Ed Burnett was call upon to oversee the project draw up all new fittings. The Stainless work was carried out locally by Thomas Fabrications Ltd and after the full varnish system and dressing at Collars the spars were delivered to Mel Sharp in Falmouth for rigging.
Designed by Laurent Giles and Partners, Lutine was built for Lloyds' Yacht Club at Camper & Nicholsons' Yard, Gosport, and launched in 1952. She was built to the American Rule and in her early years competed in numerous ocean races, many of which she won, including two Fastnets. She was replaced by Lloyds' Yacht Club in 1970 and was sailed back from the Mediterranean for restoration in 1988. Combes Boatyard began the work, which sadly ceased early on and she remained untouched until the hull was brought to Penpol Boatyard in the late 90s. Purchased in 1999, by Clive and Gillian, an extensive refit began putting her back to her forma glory gracing the classic yacht scene.